Our adoption fees ensure your new family member will come to you:
- Fully vaccinated – including Rabies
- Heartworm Free and On Prevention
- Behavior tested with honest assessments provided to all adopters.
- All known medical conditions will be fully disclosed.
Lifetime commitment from Ay Chihuahua Rescue is included with all adoptions. We are on call and at your service for the lifetime of your new dog. Continuing education and community resource identification is provided at no charge to all adoptive families.
1. For the safety of our dogs, we do not adopt to families with children under the age of six without special authorization and a home visit.
2. We only adopt our dogs to homes in the State of Texas with rare exception.
3. There are times when more than one person wants the same dog. We take multiple applications on each dog and make every effort to match the right dog with the right family. There may be times when the dog that you are interested in may not be the right match for you and/or your family. If that is the case, please know that it is not necessarily a reflection on you or your ability to love and care for a dog. We base our placement decisions on the specific needs of each of our dogs.
4. There is a nonnegotiable Adoption Fee of $240 for puppies (0 – 2 years), $195 for adults (2+ – 11 years) and $165 for seniors (11+ years). We are a non-profit organization and all of the fees that are collected go directly to the care of our dogs. We are entirely staffed by volunteers and there are no paid organization members.
5. Completing an application does not ensure approval for adoption from our organization. Ay Chihuahua Rescue reserves the right to refuse adoption to anyone for any reason.
6. We do not adopt our dogs to homes that have intact (not neutered or not spayed) animals. Additionally, all resident pets must be up to date on vaccination and on regular heartworm preventative which will be verified by your veterinarian or actual receipts from online purchases or local clinics.
Ay Chihuahua Rescue does not discriminate on the basis of gender, sexual orientation, age, race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, or disability and reserves the exclusive right to deny any adoption application for any reason we feel endangers the safety of the pet.
Commitment, Care and Responsibility
Chihuahuas can live from between 15 to 20 years. To get an idea how long your dog’s lifetime may be, consider how old you will be 15 years from now. Please consider the following carefully:
- Are you willing to restrict your choice of housing to places where pets are allowed?
- Have you carefully considered how the dog will fit into your current lifestyle? Taking Walks?
- What major changes might happen in your life in the next 15 years? Marriage? Children? Moving?
- Are you willing to continue spending the time, energy, and money to care for your dog when taking on new responsibilities like these?
- What will you do if your spouse or children can’t get along with your new dog?
- If you’re getting a pet for children you have now, how old will they be in 15 years?
- Will you still want the dog after the kids have grown up and moved out?
- Does everyone in the family want a dog? What members are enthusiastic? Unenthusiastic? What complaints or concerns have been raised?
- Are you prepared to deal with the cost of both routine veterinarian care (worming, annual shots) and non routine/emergency veterinary care, especially as the dog gets older?
Adoption Application Request Form
*Note: This form is to request an adoption application only. ACR will email you an adoption application for completion based on your submission of this request form. This request form does not act as, nor replace, the official ACR adoption application.*
Please check your email SPAM folder for our return email with attached Adoption Application.
We will answer all requests and inquiries as quickly as possible. Because we are a volunteer run organization, this sometimes means that it could be 24 hours before we are able to respond. We appreciate your patience!